Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Driftwood Bistro On Jekyll Island

A few weeks ago, we visited Jekyll Island for the first time. Before leaving home, I read reviews of various restaurants in the area so I could take that into consideration when we dined out. When you read a travel related review, understand that not all reviews will be positive. That's a given. Also, negative reviews over six months old shouldn't make or break your decision to try a restaurant, or even a hotel. Usually, after receiving a few negative reviews, changes are made to improve quality and service. Most of the reviews I read were positive and I was looking forward to this dining experience.
Our first night on the island found us at The Driftwood Bistro. This charming little restaurant was located next to the lobby of Villas by the Sea, where we spent our long weekend away. The staff was friendly and attentive, discreetly watching over us to ensure the best possible experience. This was not a compensated meal, but I could have sworn they knew what I was up to. I can't remember the last time I had the perfect dining experience, but we certainly had one here! The prices were great and the food was even better. I ordered the farm raised and corn meal breaded catfish fillets with cheese grits and macaroni and cheese. The fish fillets were crisp on the outside, moist and flaky on the inside. They were seasoned nicely and they arrived on the table still hot! The creamy macaroni and cheese was baked and it was topped with a beautifully browned cheesy crust. We all shared, but not because I wanted to. I couldn't keep my husband, Sam or Logan away! Luckily, there was enough to go around. The cheese grits were creamy, but there was a slight tartness that I didn't really like. Logan thought they were okay, but my husband seemed to really enjoy them. The rolls were soft and warm inside and we all enjoyed them!
Before our trip, I read reviews and found out about The Driftwood Bistro's beer battered fried green tomatoes and the fried okra. The reviews were good, and after hearing about their version of fried okra, I knew my husband would love it! Their whole okra pods are smashed flat and pressed into seasoned corn meal and deep fried crispy. My husband couldn't decide on one item as an appetizer, so he ordered both as side items to accompany his Stuffed Collard Greens. Whole leaf collard greens were stuffed with rice and seasoned ground beef and baked in a rich tomato creole. According to him, it was the best meal he's had in a long time. The fried green tomatoes were a little bland, but everything else was perfectly cooked and seasoned.
 Logan had...Pizza. Pizza Bites to be exact. But this wasn't a microwaved pizza passed off as something more. This pizza was made with fresh bread, delicious sauce, and it had a generous layer of cheese. This kid's meal made me want to sneak a slice off Logan's plate. It smelled amazing! He loved it and polished it off quickly!
 Sam had Chicken Fingers from the child's menu. When his plate arrived, my husband cut the chicken into bite size pieces. We did "sample" it, just to make sure it wasn't too hot. As soon as I tasted it, I grabbed another bite, and then another. It's a good thing The Driftwood Bistro is generous with their portions. I could have eaten all of his chicken fingers! Seriously, they were some of the best I've had. They were juicy and full of flavor. The crust was crisp and it wasn't oily at all!
The Driftwood Bistro scored an A! As we were finishing our meal, the manager (or owner) came over to greet us. He wanted to make sure we enjoyed our meal. After a little friendly banter he was on his way. What a warm welcome we received from this gentleman and all the staff! It was such a pleasant experience that I could see myself coming back and making it my regular spot. I left with a smile. We all did!
Disclosure: I was not compensated for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment