Saturday, January 21, 2012

Destiny: A Great Read For The Road!

I love to read. It's one of my favorite ways to pass the time. I can read just about anywhere. A great book makes long trips in the car more enjoyable, as long as the kids are quiet! Even when they're not, a great book can whisk me away and help me forget the bickering in the back seat. Most of the time! When I was given the opportunity to review Destiny, I was thrilled. The book is a fantastic tale penned by fellow blogger (and one of my readers) Laura DeLuca. Gabriella is the main character in the story and she happens to be a witch. Her character is strong and I really liked her. When I first started reading her story, I eagerly went along for the ride. And what a ride it was! Gabriella doesn't remember being a witch because she repressed her memories years ago after her mother was murdered. The evil warlock that murdered her mom is after Gabriella because he wants her to join him. Darron is Gabriella's classmate and he has a few secrets of his own. After receiving warnings from beyond, he helps Gabriella find out who she really is, and then helps her accept her gifts and fight the evil that is closing in. A few twists and turns kept me on the edge of my seat! The characters are well developed and the plot is well thought out and keeps moving at a great pace. This book is written for young adults and much of it takes place in high school. Even so, I didn't mind being taken back and I felt like I was once again walking the halls with my friends and stack of books. This book is a quick read because it captures you from the beginning and draws you into a unique circle of friends. I hated putting it down, and I hated for it to end. I am really looking forward to the sequel because I can't wait to see what happens next! This book makes you laugh and it will make you sad. The issues faced by Gabriella and her friends throughout the book are realistic. Gabriella's mom's death had a huge impact on her life and it was very traumatic. Her father was an abusive alcoholic and wasn't there for Gabriella when she needed him. Even though Gabriella could have drowned in her sorrow and given in to the darkness, she found light with the help of her friends, and her eyes were opened to a new and exciting life. Destiny is a great read for the young and those a little older!
Disclosure: I was provided a review copy in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment