Monday, January 30, 2017

Meet RL Jackson

I was given the opportunity to interview RL Jackson. If you don't recognize the name, you will soon! Her book will be available on Valentine's Day!





1. What has been your biggest challenge when it comes to writing and publishing your book? 

Getting out of my own head I think. I can be my worst enemy and think that what I'm doing isn't good enough. That may be the on thing that most creative people have in common, but once I silenced those thoughts, I was able to push through it.

2. Tell other authors what you are doing to gain new readers. Do you (or will you) promote on certain sites or Facebook groups? Do you use blogs or newsletters?

I'm using my blog, as well as social media as much as I can. I've joined a lot of facebook groups, but find they are saturated with people sharing their work, so not sure how that helps, when you get lost in the fold. I'm hoping for word of mouth to help the most and I do have a newsletter set up for those who subscribe.

3. What advice do you have for someone considering writing their first novel? 

Write. If you have a story to tell, don't spend too much time wondering IF you should do it, just do it. No matter how ugly it is. I'm from a poor family and when I first started writing it was in notebooks, which then turned to an old type writer, to a hand me down computer with Word Processor on it. I didn't let those things stop me, so "Write, Read, Edit, Repeat" is my motto.

4. Describe your writing space.

My writing space is a computer desk wedged in the corner of my living room right now. When everyone is gone for the day,  or at sleep during the night, that's when I find the quietest times to write.

5. Do you write every day? Do you use an outline? 

I try to, but then I get burned out and have to force myself to take a break. I'm also the Queen of Procrastination Land, so if I burn myself out, and stop....well you can bet a month or so can pass before I start up again, so I've learned to take breaks when I need them in order to "hand over that crown" so to speak, lol

6. What has been the best advice you've received as an author?

The best advice I've gotten I would say, hasn't only been just what others have told me, but what I've seen. I look at people like Amanda Hocking or Liliana Hart, and see that they may have started from different background, but they went out and self published and are successful. If they, and others like them can do it, so can I, so can you. So the best advice is finding it in yourself to believe that you have what it takes to be great, and then doing it. What do you have to lose?

7. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Ten years? 

I will continue writing novels and doing screenplay adaptations of books as well as filming features and TV Pilots. This is a no brainer for me, I just hope there will be people who will want to follow the journey with me.

8. Your book is being released on Valentine's Day. How will you spend the day? Do you plan to celebrate? 

I think I will spend the day promoting, as well as trying to enjoy the day without being glued to the computer. I honestly would have liked to have a book release party, and I still might do it, again thinking of this stuff brings on the anxiety and I find myself getting back into my own head again lol

9. Most authors I know have some fears when it comes to publishing their first book. If you do, what are your biggest fears? 

That it won't be good enough, or that if people do respond nicely to it, the second in the series won't live up to the first. Also, grammatical errors scare me, and i have an editor, but I've read books by some of the greats that STILL have an error or two in them. I just want it to be the best it can be.

10. Have you always wanted to be a writer? 

Well my first love was singing, and I wrote my own songs, which evolved over time to short stories and eventually screenwriting, so in a sense yes. Hollywood is fickle, so when that singing and turned to acting, I didn't want to be at anyone's mercy, to say, "Your'e talented, but you don't fit this mold", and decided to write the types of shows and movies I wanted to not only see, but possibly be in. Everything I've done, has kind of been a gateway to the next thing, but my passion at the end of the day will always be putting my fingers on the keyboard and letting it flow.

11. Many authors imagine their characters as actors when they write their book. If you could pick the actors to portray your characters, who would play them?

I guess if I had to, it would be Sam Heughan (Outlander) for "Kayden" and Megan Good (Love by the 10th Date) for "Lana".

12. Did you have a music playlist to inspire your characters or book? I do: Some of the music I listened to while writing is listed below:

Undercover (feat Matthew Dear)- Lane 8
Hanging On- Ellie Goulding
Tough Love- Jessie Ware
It's You- Zayn
Kiss It Better- Rihanna
No Broken Hearts- Bebe Rexha
Did You Disappoint Your God- Neva Dinova
One Bite- Todor Kobakov
Wicked Game- Johnny Swin
I'd Love to Change The World-Jetta
You and I - Washed Out    
To name a few


13. What is your favorite social media platform and why?

I really am not sure to tell you the truth. It used to be Facebook, but that has now morphed into such a place of moral high grounds and vicious soapbox dialogue, that I barely spend time on my personal ones. I would rather my social interactions be human, face to face interactions, but if I had to absolutely choose, Twitter would be it right now.

14. How would your friends describe you?
Busy, creative, loyal-at least I hope.


Follow RL Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment